Earth Day is the world’s largest environmental movement, aimed at raising awareness of the need to restore our planet and of the actions we as a global community can take to make a difference. The event is marked by millions of people across the globe each year on 22nd April the team at Innahua Maldives Resort would love it if you could join them from wherever you are in the world in taking some small steps for a positive change for planet Earth.
At Innahura we appreciate the astounding beauty of not only the Maldives but our entire planet and we take our responsibility to preserve it for generations to come seriously. Sustainability lies at the core of our values and we are especially proud of our solar huts that generate hot water for all the rooms, the in-house desalination and water bottling plant, our continual strive to minimise the use of plastics, provision of ocean-friendly bathroom amenities, sustainable diving and snorkelling practices and how we support our local communities. We believe that Earth Day principles should be part of every day, no matter where we are.
Here are just a few ideas of how you can make a positive change for the environment at home:
- Recycle everything you can.
- Change your paper bills to online billing – you’ll be saving trees and the fuel it takes for delivery.
- Compost kitchen scraps for use in your garden — turning waste into fertilizer to help grow some of your own produce.
- Organise a clean up in your local community or at your nearest beach.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater and home heating in colder months, and in summer, increase the temperature setting so air conditioning units are not working so hard.
- Use a ‘bag for life’
- Say ‘no’ to single use plastics – there are many eco-friendly alternatives available now.
- Donate unwanted items instead of throwing them away, consider buying secondhand goods too.
- Shop locally and reduce transport costs to the environment as well as supporting local businesses.
- Choose environmentally conscious holiday destinations and support local conservation efforts while there.
Taking just a few of these small steps will make a difference, and if many people unite to do the same, our planet will be thankful, so please join Innahura and make a commitment to planet Earth for Earth Day and the future.